Monday, May 17, 2010

Mind over Matter

It's day number one, meal number two. I'm sitting at my desk at work eating 3/4 a cup of rice mixed with 3/4 a cup of kidney beans, and the difficulty of this challenge has just become clear to me. Let me explain.

In the last few years, I've taken to fasting food for an entire day at least a few times a month. It's a discipline I've learned to value and enjoy. So, when Holly mentioned that we would get to eat on a dollar a day, I figured it couldn't feel any worse than fasting does, and often fasting doesn't bother me at all.

But here I am, sitting at my desk, during what would normally be my lunch break, wondering if I'm going to make it 30 days like this. Doubting. Not necessarily because I'm extremely hungry 4 hours into this experiment, but because already my mind doesn't want to endure the trauma of ignoring the counters full of fruit, pantries full of pasta, and refrigerators full of soda.

It's become readily apparent to me that my mind is going to tell me more lies in the next thirty days than my stomach will.

No comments:

Post a Comment