Thursday, May 13, 2010

And so it begins

Beginning on Monday, May 17th, four friends and myself will eat only $30 worth of food for the next 30 days. Our goal is to raise awareness about world hunger and social injustice. 1.2 million people live in extreme poverty, trying to live on less than a dollar a day. Another 1.6 billion live on less than $2 a day. This is a little less than half the world's people. If they can do it, so can we.

Our guidelines are as follows:
-We can each only spend $30 on food for the next 30 days.
-We cannot accept handouts or free food from friends/family.
- We can eat things that are available to everyone else (i.e. plants, bugs)
- Water is free.

Personally, I am not looking forward to this. $1 a day will not buy me caffeine, ice cream, or chocolate. I assume I will often be going to bed hungry, waking up the next morning dreading oatmeal, rice, and beans, yet again. I am, however, excited to see what God has in store. I think it will be humbling to see just how much I do spend on food, and how much of it goes to waste. Here goes nothing.
-Holly

1 comment:

  1. I know I am a year late, but I am reading this book right now and I am encouraged to find this blog. So how did things go? I plan to finish reading so hopefully i will find out.

    ReplyDelete