Thursday, May 20, 2010

Ignoring Temptaion

I have eaten similiarily to what I am eating now when I lived in Uganda. An egg for breakfast, beans and rice for lunch, beans and rice for dinner. The difference is that when I was there, that is what everyone was eating. There were no other options. Occasionally we would buy a pineapple from the market or a chocolate bar from the canteen on campus, but for the most part we were living just like everyone else.

The hardest part of this experiement so far is having to ignore the thousands of options that are under my nose. Tuesday was particularily rough. My roommates and I have started a community dinner on Tuesday night. Every week we cook dinner and invite everyone we know (literally) over for dinner. We had decided beforehand that we would not be allowed to eat at these, but would still attend. Twenty people showed up for beef and brocoli wellington, pasta salad, brownies, cupcakes, and chocolate pie. I ate a bowl of rice.

I don't doubt that I can make it another 26 days eating bland, uninteresting, boring food. It's just that, right now, I don't want to.


No comments:

Post a Comment